Concrete is the most widely used construction material in the UK and worldwide. The basic mix of gravel aggregate, sand and water has been the building blocks of some of the most impressive constructions since the Romans, Egyptians and probably even further back. Anything can be built out of concrete; the possibilities are limitless.
The Benefits of Concrete
Concrete has a number of benefits as a construction material including:
- The ability to be used to build new-build properties
- The ability to be used to imitate traditional stone motifs
- It makes projects easier
- It is aesthetically pleasing
- It is safe to use
- It is functional
- It is strong
Why is Concrete So Popular in the UK Construction Industry?
Concrete is one of the few building materials that actually gains strength over time. Not only does it remain high-quality for a long period of time, but there is little need for maintenance or reconstruction, which is why it is one of the most popular building materials used in the UK.
Concrete has double the lifespan of other building materials including:
The Benefits of Concrete in Construction
Concrete has been around for hundreds of years and has been popular since it was first introduced. The concrete industry is continually growing and when you look at the benefits you can see why:
- It makes buildings more efficient
- The materials are widely available
- Concrete allows for absorption and heat retention
- Walls and foundations are more durable and stronger
- It’s cheaper to use
- It’s easier to maintain
- The material is fire resistant
- It’s stronger than other materials against natural disasters
- It has better protection against the weather
- It helps reduce allergens in the environment
- It’s rot-resistant
Is it Expensive?
The prices of most construction materials are continually changing depending on supply and demand. However, concrete continues to be one of the best and most cost-efficient building materials available. The price of concrete has remained steady even though there have been huge changes in the UK economy and changes in demand.
Construction businesses should consider using more concrete in their builds. Before doing so, you need to think about your concrete requirements!
- The grade
- The finishing costs
- Surface preparation costs